Answers by: Mish Way
1) For the beginning can you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your band and your music?
Mish Way, I am the front woman of White Lung.
2) What are your lyrics about and where do you find inspiration for them?
Most of my lyrics are about sex or my relationship to my own sexuality. It depends on the day and who/what is eating at my mind. I write about body issues, drugs, family, anger, money, whatever, but it's mostly about love and sex. What else is there in this world? I am a very reactionary person. I deal with my anger through songs. Lyrics are intellectual. The performance, or execution, is cathartic.
3) Do you remember which was the first song that you learned on guitar/drums/bass?
The first song I learned to play on the guitar was "Wonderwall"by Oasis. I love Oasis. Liam Gallagher forever.
4)What is the strangest thing that happened to you on stage?
Many years ago White Lung had to play this weird club night. It was a DJ friend of ours who ran a popular night that suburban kids came out to, but the DJ would always have a punk band play. We'd usually clear the room or whatever because the kids didn't want punk. So, one time we play it because we're getting paid really well and a bunch of free booze and I took mushrooms before we played. I thought it would be fine. When we were on stage I started tripping hard and this club chick jumped on stage and started like tweaking, grinding, all over me. I was high so I thought it was a planned thing and I totally freaked out, started laughing and dropped the mic, curled on the floor. There are pictures of this somewhere online.
5) If you could play one song with any artist/band (dead or alive) who would that be and why?
I would want to do a duet with Mark Lanegan and sing "Strange Religion", which is my favourite song of his.
6) What's the first album you ever bought?
Madonna "Bedtime Stories". The cover was so sexy.
7) What do you like the most - vinyl, cassette, CDs or mp3s?
I have a large collection of about 900 cassettes. Cassettes suck. They warp and break, but I love the tangibility of them and my collection is great. I got it from a sound girl I used to work with at this dumpy bar.
8) The strangest think you have ever eaten/drank?
I think it's pretty insane that how much semen I have ingested in my life.
9) What's your worst habit?
Smoking, biting my skin and my nails.
10) What is your biggest wish right now?
That this fly in my apartment would get out and leave me alone.
11) If you had to make a cocktail named White Lung what would you put in it and what effect would it have on people?
I would invent a cocktail that tasted so delicious but contained Scopolamine or "The Devil's Breath" which is this drug in South America that makes you loss all your will power. Basically you do whatever someone tells you while under the influence and you are conscious but remember nothing. Vice did a good documentary on it. You take this thing and people take complete control of you. It's beyond date rape. It's like people wake up in a bathtub with a kidney missing and a note that says, "You have 5 hours to get to a hospital" kind of shit. I'd feed the cocktail to rich dummies and Robin Hood them of all their furs and jewels and cash and cars and drugs.
12) What is the most unusual gift you got by one of your fans?
I had a girl in Hungary tell me she named her cat after me. There's an editor in Toronto who sends me my favorite press-on nails all the time too, which is so cool.
13) What do you do in your life when your not writing recording playing with White Lung?
I'm a journalist so I write. (www.mishway.com)
14) What's the worst idea you ever had on tour?
Just one? Are you kidding me? I make the most mistakes on tour. It starts with doing dumb drugs or not sleeping or yelling at people. Kenny and I took Adderall to stay up through a 16 hour drive from Kansas City to Chicago and we didn't sleep for like 36 hours. We could barely figure out how to pump gas. We were flying. The come down was hell.
15) Do you have any tattoos? Whats your favourite style/piece?
I have a Germs circle on my chest which I love. It started as a stick n poke with an ex-boyfriend, but now it's just a Germs circle. I also have my friend Jamie Getz's name tattooed on my rib bone in old school script. He's got my name too. It was a dare gone too far.
16) What are your plans with White Lung for the future?
We are going on tour down to Texas with our friend and San Jose-based rapper Antwon. He's great and we can't wait to get out of town with him. Then, we are going to come home and finish our third LP which will come out in Spring 2014.
17) Some last words for our readers?
Every good front woman needs a mantra. Here's mine:
"To be a truly intoxicating woman you must have a backbone, good morals, good intentions, and a good whip." - Andrea Mary Marshall