STORY OF THE YEAR - INTERVIEW
"We are going to start robbing banks."
Questions by: Jasmina Lozar
Answers by: Ryan Phillips
1) For the beginning can you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your band and your music?
My name is Ryan, I play the guitar in Story of the Year. We've been a band for 10 years, and our band will light your tits on fire.
2) What are the themes of your lyrics and where do you find inspiration for them?
Inspiration can come from anywhere. It can be an Australian sunset, a conversation with a stranger, a fight with a loved one, literally anything. I personally find most inspiration for the poetry / lyrics I write stems from the experience of being a person living out of a suitcase, in a different city every night. There are so many emotions that surface from that kind of lifestyle. Anyone that's ever been in a touring band knows what I mean.
3) Do you remember which was your first song that you learned on guitar/drums/bass?
I wrote the first song I ever played on guitar. I still remember it. The first song that I learned by another artist was "Iron Man" from Black Sabbath.
4)What is the strangest thing that happened to you on stage?
I impaled a microphone with my face. I did a backflip, lost my equilibrium and somehow landed on a microphone stand, which went into my throat and sliced my uvula.
5) If you could play one song with any artist/band dead or alive who would that be and why?
"Streets Have No Name" by U2. I just think that is one of the most soaring and emotional songs ever created. On the heavier side, like every other guitar player in world I would love to jam with Pantera, with Dimebag standing right next to me while taking shots of fireball out of a deer skull.
6) What's the first album you ever bought?
"Rust in Peace" Megadeth
7) What do you like the most vinyl, cassette, CDs or mp3s?
8) The strangest think you have ever eaten/drank?
In China I ate a pig ear that my guitar tech chewed up and spit out. I kind of want to vomit thinking about that.
9) What's your worst habit?
I get really impatient when people are slow.
10) What is your biggest wish right now?
I wish I more time. Fuck money, I want time.
11) If you had to do a cocktail named Story of the year what would you put in it and what effect would it have on people?
It would have my drummer's blood in it, mixed with pancake syrup and eagle's tears. It would make everyone finger each other.
12) What is the most unusual gift you got by one of your fans?
A necklace with a vial of the dudes blood in it.
13) What do you do in your life when you are not writing recording playing with Story of the year?
I like to play with my camera, make stuff, and be outside moving in some way. I like to move!
14) What's the worst idea you ever had on tour?
I can't tell you. It was illegal.
15) Do you have any tattoos? Whats your favorite style/piece?
Yep. Not as many as most band dudes, but I have some. My favorite is my Mike McGill skull/snake. (80's skateboard logo)
16) What are your plans with Story of the year for the future?
We are going to start robbing banks.
17) Some last words for our readers?
Thank you to everyone out there that has supported me or my band in anyway. I put so much of myself into my art- I truly appreciate it. Follow me on twitter @ryanphillips.
Leave a Reply.
In cooperation with
we are bringing you interviews, reviews, band presentations and everything in between connected with punk & hardcore world!